Saturday, March 14, 2015

Happy Birthday, Colin - 2015

Yesterday was Colin's 14th birthday. I got up early and went to Tim Horton's to buy a dozen donuts and a box of Tim Bits to start the day. Colin seemed in a decent mood and I made sure to have minimal contact to keep it that way.

He put on his new forest green dress shirt and tartan-plaid tie that I bought him this past weekend. What a difference a year makes. Last year we could not be under the same roof and refused to accept any cards or gifts from us. He accepted his birthday donuts which was shared with his brothers and took the Tim Bits to school with him.

We had to delay going out for a birthday dinner as Colin had signed up to help with a Fish Fry fundraising dinner at a local Irish Club to get his required volunteer hours in. When he came home, we celebrated with an ice cream cake. I was delighted that we were able to sing to him and I was able to get some photos.

The only blemish on the day is that my middle-son was not shy in voicing his resentment to me. Colin came home on his 16 year old brother's birthday. To make matters worse, that was the same day we picked up Sumter. I have no doubt that without this puppy, we would not have been as successful in bringing our son home. Unfortunately middle-son views this as his brother getting a gift of a dog and taking away the spotlight from the birthday boy.

This teenage angst is working my last nerve!

Other than the simmering resentment from his brother, Colin seems to have had a good week. Wednesday, Colin and his eldest brother performed in a high school band concert; Colin on trombone, his brother on trumpet. We were able to have a nice dinner afterwards. I really cherish these bouts of normalcy.

Tonight we have family coming into town and will dine out. I am delighted that Colin is on-board with the plans and not the least bit hesitant.

Time to start to get ready!

As always.... we are a work-in-progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment