Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Good Company

Yesterday felt more like a Friday than a Monday. My sister-in-law and niece flew in from Chicago for college orientation at Ohio State and stopped by for an evening visit. I volunteered to make dinner and invited my sister and her family (husband and two boys) as well.

I was running a bit later than expected and when I came home from the grocery store, I found that Colin had been busy at work. He had cleaned the kitchen table and already fed and took the dog out to potty. I just had to give Sumter his medication before starting the preparations.

Colin asked about a sponge to clean the outdoor tables. I suggested paper towels. He grabbed a roll and got to work. I was impressed at my son's enthusiasm. This was the boy I remembered from a year ago. I soaked in the scene before I went inside to coerce my middle-son to help. Eldest was at work and would not be home until after 9:00 p.m. and hubs would be home shortly. When my husband finally arrived he also was impressed with Colin cleaning without being told. It was as if this was Colin's dinner party.

A Memorable Evening


I believe a large part of Colin's positive attitude was that he was happy to have his former host family come visit. He also was comfortable with his Chicago Aunt and cousin as they had stayed with Aunt "P" several times over the past year.

We had dinner al fresco. The temperature was perfect for eating outdoors. Colin seemed to enjoy showing off his puppy. He also brought his camera out to show our visitors photos and videos he had taken, mostly of the dogs at Aunt "P"s.

My brother-in-law commented that we don't get the cousins together as often as we should and that this was nice. I heartily agree. We really had an enjoyable evening.

I have no idea what the rest of the week has in store. I am content to savor the memories of last night for as long as I am able.

We are a work-in-progress!

1 comment:

  1. Glad to find your new blog address. I'm back at it too. Enjoy your family and I look forward to reading more ...

    ReplyDelete