Sunday, November 16, 2014

Finding Humanity

Another week has flown by. Swim season has started for the boys and so has the grueling workouts. Three days a week, the boys need to be at school by 6:15 in the morning for weight training and swim practice.They also have practice weekdays after school and on Saturday mornings. Colin is the youngest and smallest boy on the team. As with cross country, he has his work cut out for him. It appears that Colin is determined to get in shape.

Friday night, I stayed home with Colin and my middle-son while my husband attended a dinner with my eldest for the seniors on the cross-country team. I asked the two boys what they wanted for dinner. Middle son was just getting over a minor fever and was not hungry. Colin had a plate with peanut butter and crackers and a protein drink at his place at the dinner table. He asked that I buy more protein bars. Apparently he is trying to build up his puny muscles and is trying to load up on foods that will help.

I was tired after a long day at work and heated up some left-overs. I fed the puppy and enjoyed some quiet time while the boys retreated to their rooms.

Saturday Game Night


Saturday morning, I went to work early, eldest went to swim practice while the younger two boys had a quiz team tournament across town. Dad drove and dropped them off and went back home. The tournament was being held at a high school that was not far from where my sister and her family live. I came along with hubs to pick the boys up at 4:30. We brought Sumter along and went to visit my sister and her family.

My sister and I picked up some pizzas while the boys hung out and the dogs played. After dinner, Colin suggested we play a game called "Cards Against Humanity". This is an adult game similar to "Apples to Apples" but a bit off-color.

Five of us played; my sister, her son, me and my two boys (eldest had to work and was not with us). We had a great time and I can't remember the last time I was able to laugh so hard with my boys. Colin was in a great mood, especially when he and his brother tied for 1st place.

Shortly after the game was over, we decided to go back home. I was so happy to be able to have enjoyed a "normal" evening. Of course there were the usual messages about puppy going to kill us but only a few soft-spoken ones with no witnesses other than my husband and I. We were more focused on the fact that our son is not only able to be in the same room as us but had wanted to play a family game. This was the first time in well-over a year.

Lazy Sunday


Today, Colin has been keeping mainly to himself. At one point he was looking for his modeling clay and seemed agitated that he was unable to find it. He came up from his room to ask demand I tell him where I put it away. I don't recall moving his clay and neither did my husband.

Colin had seen his cousin working on claymation last night which sparked his interest to return to a project he put aside for several months. I tried to help look but was banished from his presence. I was more than happy to take my leave. Colin is no fun to be around when he is in a mood and I am avoiding him the rest of the evening.

Fortunately I think Colin found enough material to work with and is holed up in his room. He'll come out when he gets hungry and is able to fend for himself. It is important to give our son his space. This also gives me an opportunity for the quiet time I need. I am able to catch up some of my to-do list before bed.

As always, we are a work-in-progress!


.




No comments:

Post a Comment