Thursday, August 7, 2014

Getting Ready for BTS - The Week in Review

Little by little, we are having moments of progress. There are just a few weeks before school starts. I started taking the puppy to work in preparation. Colin continues to go to bed a bit later than we'd like and as a result has been sleeping late. While the older boys have been helping out, hubs suggested that I start getting Sumter used to going to work with me.

It's been a full week now and I have a routine down. I have a large kennel under the front table where the pup spends most of the day. Between potty breaks every couple of hours, lunch and a 1/2 mile walk, and working on some afternoon floor-time by my desk (until he misbehaves), the hours fly by. It is harder to find free-time to blog. I decided to take a few moments before going to bed.


Saturday Visit to Aunt "P"s

Due to Sumter's recent ear surgery (to create scar tissue as a prevention for further hematoma) and having to wear the "cone of shame" for a while, it had been a few weeks without a visit to my sister's house. Puppy got his stitches out Monday of last week and I took the cone off on Friday. Sumter was in need of some playtime with other dogs, as well as a long-overdue bath.

We had a nice visit. Colin and I swam laps with Aunt "P" while Sumter played with his dog-cousin Otis and two of his friends. Afterwards, Colin was able to use the lower level steam shower to bathe his dog after his romp.

My sister and her friend invited us to go with them to see a movie, "Guardians of the Galaxy". Colin was interested in going but I didn't want to push our luck. We had a pup who needed to go home and I did not want to overstay our welcome. Sometimes less is more. We left at dinnertime after a peaceful afternoon by the pool.

When we were close to home, Colin asked if I wanted to go to Subway for dinner. I was not in the mood but since he asked nicely, I offered to stop and let him get a sandwich. I gave my son some cash and stayed in the car with the dog while he went in to purchase his dinner. He came back with his sandwich, handed me the change and we returned home.

I decided to take a moment to soak in the victory of achieving a fairly "normal" day with minimal "shushes".

Annual Doctor's Visit, Tour of School

We also ticked off a few more tasks / milestones this week.

On Monday, Colin and his 16 year old brother had their annual exams at the pediatrician. Colin was due back in March so he was a few months behind. Dad took the boys and much to my relief, the visit was largely uneventful. The doctor was pleasantly surprised at the difference in Colin since his last visit a year ago, when he was dragged in against his will. (exam for referrals due to his sound-induced rages). This time our son was well-behaved, although a bit subdued.

Tuesday was the tour of the all-boys high school that our other boys attend. After the tour, Colin had an interview with the Dean which went well. He was accepted as a Freshman and will need to take a math placement test next week. Records are being sent from the middle school. Things are falling in place, just in time!

Yesterday (Wednesday), Dad and the two older boys left for a 3-day college visit tour, leaving me alone with Colin and Sumter. So far, interaction with my son has been minimal. When I've asked about dinner or other mundane issues, I've been met with shut-ups.  I've decided to enjoy the silence and leave my son to his own devices, knowing that he will ask me if he needs anything. He is fully capable of making his own meals.


For the Dogs

Today (Thursday), I decided to take Sumter to a monthly local event for dogs to get his nails trimmed and to socialize with other dogs. I invited Colin as I thought he might want to bring his camera and take pictures. Instead I was met with a "shut-up" so I left him at home. As I was driving to the dog-event, it dawned on me that Colin might be afraid of running into former classmates which might require an explanation of why he left his school mid-year. I was disappointed that he did not choose to come with us, but I understood why he might not wish to be seen.

Puppy and I had a nice time. I bought Sumter a bow-tie from a booth that Colin and I visited a year ago. The business owners have two Great Danes that Colin took photos of last year during our visit which I had forwarded on. When I reintroduced myself as the owner rang up my sale, she told me that she remembered Colin and have used the photos for their website. She alerted me to a photo contest they are having.

Upon our return home this evening, I sent Sumter down to the basement to show off his new accessory. Colin perked up upon seeing the bow-tie, and seemed interested when I mentioned the contest. It was the first time tonight I was not met with a shut-up!

It is now waaay past my bedtime. We seem to be moving in the right direction. I continue to not look too far into the future but am hopeful as things are falling into place.

As always.... We are a Work-In-Progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment