Friday, December 13, 2013

Left Behind

Yesterday afternoon I received a phone call at work. The caller identified herself as the education liaison at the psychiatric hospital. She asked how Colin was doing. I didn't know how to answer and was a bit speechless at first. It has been two months since his stay. This was the first call from someone at the hospital asking about our son.

The reason for the call was to inform me that Colin had left a small book bag with two text books (Geometry and Science) and a Stephen King book (11/22/63) behind. We needed to come back to retrieve it.

I could feel resentment and disbelief bubble to the surface as I was flooded with memories that I had pushed to the back of my mind.

I politely let her know that we were less than satisfied at the treatment Colin received while in their care. I asked the educator if she had any input with the administrators and staff and told her I'd to be love to sit down with the director.  I have numerous concerns and feel they could benefit from parental feedback.

The communication gaps and lack of follow up is appalling, especially as I've been told by all of our doctors that we were at the best psychiatric facility in our city.

We will make arrangements to pick up the bag and the liaison will pass along my concerns and desire for a meeting. I would love to be able to help make a difference. It will be interesting if this if there is any follow up from the hospital....


We are a work-in-progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment