Saturday, September 7, 2013

Morning Respite

I am enjoying some quiet-time this morning. Colin had a cross-country meet this morning and has been gone since 7:00 a.m..  My eldest son who is 16 had to be at his life guard job at 9:00 and my 15 year old middle son is still sleeping.

I am able to run the laundry and dishwasher while I have been checking in with my FaceBook groups and now blogging. It's ironic that being able to perform basic chores that I would put off are now a big treat! A few months ago, we would not have run the dishwasher until it was really full. Today I ran a half-load. When the opportunity arises, you must jump and take advantage.

Last night my husband spoke with a Child Psychiatrist in California who is a family connection. He has never heard of "Misophonia" but  made a couple of interesting points.

1. Thanks to the power of the internet, we will find out about many more little-known disorders.

2. He predicts that Neurofeedback will eventually cut pharmaceutical use in half. (EEG is his preferred method)

It is important that we get Colin started on treatment. I got "hooked-up" last night for a short trial to see if I could get my son to watch and take photographs. He was not in the mood and hid in the bathroom. I can't see why Colin wouldn't mind NFB. He would have a chance to watch a video of his choosing. The only part that is less-than-desirable is that goop is used to attach electrodes to 3 places on the scalp which requires hair-washing afterwards. 

Our psychiatrist friend suggested that we take away all electronic devices ( camera, i-pod) and t.v. until our son starts Neurofeedback treatments. 

It appears we have an "interesting" weekend ahead. Stay tuned......

We are a work-in-progress! 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Afternoon update:

Glad I had that morning respite! My Miso-son came home from  his cross country meet and was immediately triggered. It's the weekend, the weather is delightful and the perfect time for our neighbors to mow their lawns. The sound of these grass-devouring beasts have set off some of the worst miso-attacks to-date.

Our across-the-street neighbor decided to mow her grass which set Colin howling into the bathroom slamming the door. He yells the most DELIGHTFUL epithets at us. "I hate you", "Go crawl in a hole and die!",  "Stop hurting me!" "Why are you doing this to me?" and had added a few four-letter words to his repertoire. Anyone within earshot of our front door might think we were abusing our child.

What to do? What to do?

Do we ask our neighbors to quit mowing their yards and risk a city-code violation?

Wait! I have a better idea. I could anonymously gift each of our neighbors with a goat. They wouldn't need to ever mow their grass again.

PROBLEM SOLVED!.......Not really. :(

AAaaarrrrghhhhhh!!!!!!. Does anyone know if there is a pirate emoticon? If so, please tell me how. I have a feeling it will come in handy in the days to come.




No comments:

Post a Comment