Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Relative Calm

Today has been the calmest day so far during the past few weeks.

I woke up at 5:00 a.m. to hear my son rustling around. I've been sleeping on the couch downstairs so I can monitor the goings on for now. Colin fell asleep early last night and I suspect he did not finish all the school-work he wanted to.

I got up to see the light under the door to verify he was awake. We have an unspoken understanding that there are times he does not want to talk. I wrote a note: "Colin, I love you. That is all. - Mom" and slipped it under the door. I heard some drawers being opened and closed but no ripping or crumpling of paper. I took that as a good sign.

I had to leave early for a 7:00 a.m. dentist appointment. Colin passed me in the hallway to turn off the refrigerator and grab breakfast. (Pop Tarts today!). I've learned not to make eye contact or to say a word. I arrived early to my appointment and had a chance to chat with my dentist before the rest of the staff arrived. I was able to brief him on my son's Misophonia so that the office is prepared next week when he comes in for his cleaning. The dentist listened intently and later made notes on Colin's charts.

When I came back home at 8:00 a.m., I was shocked to find the air on full blast, ceiling fans blazing and the older boys' room doors open. I was about to voice my concern when my husband informed me that Colin was insistent that he be dropped at school at 7:15 a.m. There was a group project and some other work that he was falling a bit behind on and his STEM teacher told him he could come in early. I was a bit surprised as I thought the school didn't open until 8:00 and that was for detention. My husband told me that they arrived a few moments before the school principal and she let my son in.

I decided to call the principal when I arrived at my office to find out if my son was allowed in that early and to make sure everything was o.k.  This also gave me an opportunity to let her know what was happening at home with Colin so we have another set of eyes making sure he is surviving the school day. We had a nice chat and I am comforted to know that the school will try to help in any way they can. She even suggested that my son could wear headphones and listen to music if he needed to block out sounds such as the HVAC system. I assured her that my son didn't want to draw attention to himself and won't wear them. I told her that right now I just need some "spies" to alert me if there are any issues we need to know about. I also made sure the school administrator knew that I was grateful that I could count on their support. Many other parents of Miso-children are not so lucky.

Colin had an away cross-country meet and I picked him up at 6:15 p.m. He has a new way to ride in the car. Dad let him lay in the back of my van where I would normally put my groceries. He found that if our son lays on his back and looks up at the sky, he is not as traumatized by the ride. Against my better judgement I allow this.

The ride home was not so bad.

After a quick shower and dinner, it was off to piano lessons. Another car ride laying in the back. He arrived in good spirits. The lesson seemed to go well and the ride home was much better than expected. I made sure Colin knows that I am not comfortable with him riding this way and he assures me that he is safe and that no one will see him.

I tell myself that this is much better than when my son is riding in a seat and stressed. He has taken off his seat belt before and tried to ride standing up which is much more dangerous. For now, until we find a better solution, I guess I'll turn a blind-eye for short distances.

In other news, Hubs changed the door-nobs in the 1st floor half-bath/make-shift bedroom today, to ones that don't lock. Colin was not happy but after some initial banging around, he settled in.

We are a work-in-progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment